Sunday 18 March 2012

In the beginning...

So, let's start at the top.
I am Emily Newton, a 19 year old small town girl living in a big city.
It has been a very whirlwind adventure thus far. 

Raised in Coffs Harbour from ages 5 to 18, I moved to Brisbane for one thing only. To get out of the black whole that small town's become. I escaped the gossip and the drama (to put in to perspective, when I moved we had 1 bar that you could go to on the weekends. Literally) and switched it for the bright lights and big opportunities.

Getting in to my dream school, the University of Queensland, I worked my bum off in my gap year to afford to study, and I am loving every minute of it! Other than the occasional drama involving my Twitter account constantly un-following my JOUR1111 cohort, this course is seeming to be exactly what I wanted.

Lover of Hunter S Thompson, my mind was set that Journalism was to be my career path when my older brother Ben gave me "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" to read, one rainy afternoon when I was 12. Now, as a buddy journalist is aware, we can't all live the Rock'n'Roll lifestyle Mr Thompson had to offer the avid readers of Rolling Stone Magazine. There is a lot of hard work to get to the top...

But who says I can't make it that way up..?

All I can say is, watch this space.
One day you will be reading about my crazy awesome adventures on the road and thinking to yourself, "I wish that was me".
I guarantee you.

If you're hungry for more, google "emmerleener" and you'll find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment