Tuesday 17 April 2012

The Sour Side of Online Marketing

Why just the other day I bought some lemons. They were just your average, typical lemons.
Except for one big difference...



Yes, my lemons now are a part of social networking.
And here I thought social media couldn't get any more niche...

Of course, me being the inquisitive being that I am, I had to save the sticker and investigate.
Finding the page took a little bit longer than I first anticipated - better get your online marketing consultant onto that, Abbotsleigh!
But, alas,  the result was dismal...I bought my lemon at Woolworths. Now, I think of the hundreds of thousands of lemons in Australia that are sold to thousands of customers each week, and how many hundreds of those people like myself, notice the sticker.


Your eyes are not mistaken, only a mere 219 people including myself have actually liked Abbotsleigh Citrus's Facebook Page. Considering they joined Facebook on March 3 2011, and I could get 219 people to read my blog in 1 day if I wanted to buy using social media - I'm calling this an Online Marketing FAIL.

This only reinforces how IMPORTANT online marketing can be in making or breaking a company's success. For one, the used of not including "citrus" on their sticker has lost potentially hundreds of page likes,  and all that could have been avoided with adding a single word. Considering their stickers have been this way for over a year, it's more than a simple mistake...

Businesses need to constantly be cautious of the marketing they pursue, make sure you utilise a company or individuals that are trained in online marketing strategies to avoid simple mistakes as these, and even more importantly, make sure social media is actually RIGHT for your business. I am still stumped as to why these guys need a page.

By all means, if you love your citrus and you're a Facebook user, you can always help them out like I did by liking their page: https://www.facebook.com/AbbotsleighCitrus

No comments:

Post a Comment